Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Encounter with an Angel


I was in the vet’s office a couple of days ago picking up medicine for my animals. As I am waiting at the counter a young mother comes in with her two daughters and a box with paw prints on it. I said, “Oh, you just got a new kitten?”

Both little girls chimed, “Yes.”

The mother started telling me it was their second cat. The girls were telling me about the cat and I said, “What a lucky little cat!” I walked over, “May I see?”

The box lid was closed, of course, and I couldn’t really see inside the holes although I took a peek. I asked, “What does it look like?”

The mother said it was female and a Tiger stripe. I am thinking black and white. I go back to the counter. The youngest daughter – I am not good with ages, but she was definitely preschool – came over and tapped me on the arm or leg, I don’t remember. I just felt this gentle tap and looked down and there she was. I don’t recall what she said, but I know I answered her question and responded to her with a pleased smile that she would even approach me.

She went back to her mother, sister and the cat. Then she came over and tapped me again. When I looked down at her, I looked deep into her eyes and I truly saw the face of an angel. There is pretty and there is sweet, and then there is angelic. This child is an angel on earth. I will never forget connecting with her eyes. She told me the kitty was poking her paw through the holes in the box, so I went to look. “Oh, it’s brown!” I exclaimed when I saw the paw.
 
“Yes, she has some brown and rust,” the mother said.
 
I laughed as the cat stuck her paw and whole arm out through one hole and then another waving her paw for whatever she could reach.
 
I heard my name and went to the counter. The vet tech was showing me all the medicines and explaining what is for whom and how to dose. I paid and left without looking back.
 
On the way home, and several times since then, I have recalled seeing that child’s face and feeling the gentle way she touched me to get my attention. The remembrance brings a huge smile to my face. I know for sure … I was touched by an angel. And I knew when I looked into her eyes, I was looking into the eyes of an angel.
 
I am not a huge fan of children. If I encounter any I show them undivided attention and kindness because I feel it is important. However, I don't seek them out and ogle over them like most people do. I generally find them hard and spoiled beyond their years. I questioned what was so special about this little girl. I have looked into the face of sweetness before, but this experience was beyond sweetness. It was like finding what I have been seeking. For in that moment that our eyes held there was recognition. I saw myself mirrored back to me; my own precious and lost inner child. So serious. So loving. So wanting to share the experiences in life.
 
Only an angel has that kind of healing power in a touch and in a gaze.

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment